My photo
Wanganui, New Zealand
Busy living life in the 'burbs, but is LIFE passing me by? Let's explore that notion...

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

My Dad


Happy Birthday time again - this time it's Dad's birthday. As the only parent I have left he is extra special to me - and my siblings will agree. Here is a photo dating back 20 years, with one of my sisters. As far as old Dads go he is a great guy, a get-up-and-go kind of man who could NEVER be called a couch potato. When we were growing up he made sure we went away every school holidays as a family, whether camping in New Plymouth or Masterton, tramping anywhere in the lower North Is, house-swapping in Nelson, countless bush walks, beach trips, etc etc! We all spent time with him canoeing, and tramping up, down and around mountains and ranges. I remember numerous Tramping Club trips - especially the really social ones like pine-pulling on the slopes of Ruapehu, and camping at Vinegar Hill. Aaaah, those were the days. A special thanks to Dad for all the great memories I have of my childhood. If it wasn't for you I may not have met my husband and had my two wonderful children. [I met Fraz while doing hut-warden duty up the Whanganui River, aged 17: he was canoeing down, stopped at the hut, and the rest is history!]
So Dad, I love you and wish you a happy birthday xxxxxxxx

4 comments:

Jessie said...

Aw. Happy birthday from me too Dad!

ANNA said...

Yeah, and how Mum coped with us all I'll never know! I bet she couldn't WAIT for Dad to come back to the tent each night.

Jessie said...

I remember that! I remember walking up the road towards Wanganui with Mum to meet Dad on his way back from work. Knee socks and all (Dad, not Mum and me!)

ANNA said...

gees you must have been tiny back then Jess