My photo
Wanganui, New Zealand
Busy living life in the 'burbs, but is LIFE passing me by? Let's explore that notion...

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

My Mum

My Mum will never age - in my mind she will forever be 55, as that was how old she was when she was taken from us. I vividly remember the day I got a phonecall from my brother-in-law, telling me that she had died, in PNG, where she and Dad were living. I was 5 months pregnant with my first child and my grief was for my own loss as much as my child's loss of his grandmother. Mum and Dad had come to Fiji for my wedding 3 months earlier and I had told them of the pregnancy then, not guessing for a minute that it would be the last time I would see my Mum alive. She was vibrant and beautiful that night. Now, exactly 6 years on, I have another child who has only my Dad to cherish her as a grandparent can - lucky for me that he is a wonderful man and well able to step up to the mark - thanks Bubu. I sometimes daydream about Mum meeting my kids and how she might react to them if she was alive today. It's really hard to imagine. Theirs would have been a unique relationship and it's a tragedy that I'll never know. RIP Mum, I love you XXX

3 comments:

Jessie said...

Yeah I went and hung out with Guy last night, that was cool. I like having him up here. I meant to call Dad but I forgot, so I called him just now. He sounds well.

ANNA said...

Glad you liked it girls - it was written from the heart. I left a phone msge for Dad and he called back a day later but I was in the middle of a mad morning rush - just getting out of shower, school time looming, etc, and couldn't chat. I hope he read it too.

ANNA said...

Wow Ally! So cool to hear from you. I do talk about Mum quite often to Lockie - he used to wonder that if you were called "Diane" it meant you would "die". Hee hee, kids' logic is always refreshing if not twisted compared to our own ideas! Because Mum never had grandchildren before she died, she was not given a grandparent name. [Maybe she would have been Yogi - to match with Bubu!!!] Naah. Lockie visited with Granzie often, especially when we lived in Wangas when he was 3, so he hopefully will retain memories of her.
Cheers and Happy Birthday for Dec!!!