My photo
Wanganui, New Zealand
Busy living life in the 'burbs, but is LIFE passing me by? Let's explore that notion...

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Big and Hairy

OK Jess, so you are not the only one with a big fat spider lurking in your house! I found this marching across the kitchen floor and whacked a large glass over it. It froze and has been like that for the last half hour - I can see it from where I am sitting now. I kinda feel sorry for it, but then again, maybe it's already laid a whole bunch of eggs and is planning an invasion...time to get the house sprayed again. We had it sprayed last year and the effects certainly did last 12 months as they predicted. We didn't see any live bugs or spideys for the whole time, which meant no cobwebs to clear from corners, and any bugs that flew/crawled into the house died pretty quickly. I wonder if this is a redback spider - but maybe not because I think they are only in Australia, right??! Fraz is down in the basement tonight learning some music for a solo gig he is doing in a few weeks [his first!] so I will wait till he comes back upstairs and get his opinion. I am OK about removing it outside [far from the house mind you!] but would rather not go too close to it if possible. I have a can of flyspray handy in case it goes nutso like the ones in the "Arachnophobia" movie.

On the brighter side, today we had a family excursion [a rare occurence for us!] and drove over to the Grasslees Reserve in Tawa, with Lockie's bike in the boot. He zoomed around the large concreted area and Bella had a big swinging sesh which she loved. Later we came home and ate iceblocks on the back lawn. Lockie managed to have several temper fits throughout the day but despite this we had a good day and had our first BBQ for the summer. Normally the boys head off for 'boy adventures' for several hours on a Sunday so this was a refreshing change - usually Bella and I can get quite bored waiting for them to return.


Lockie went to a friend's birthday party on Saturday and had a ball - he even got his face painted [first time ever!] with a rainbow - his idea. He wore it all day and we had to scrub quite hard to remove it in the bath. Fraz showed him some pictures of KISS in their makeup.

Bella is starting to cruise around the furniture and last night she pushed her little yellow trolley up and down the lounge and giggled gorgeously with glee the whole time [till she fell over!]; it was very cute. Lockie used this same trolley when he was learning to walk too.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Martha Craig said...

That is a very very very very very very unpleasant looking spider.

Thankfully we only seem to have Daddy-longlegs in Petone.

Jessie said...

Aagh!! That's huge!! What happened?

ANNA said...

Well, Fraz decided it could be a foreign one and we should ask the MAF, so he 'fumigated' it in the glass - before this it tried to attack him by bouncing itself furiously against the glass... anyway it took AGES to die, and now I think I have seen this species before in the garden shed when I was a kid. A friend tells me this is a 'garden' spider. So what the hell was it doing in my kitchen??!??!

ANNA said...

Don't worry Meg - I am getting the house sprayed on Wednesday. I vaguely remember seeing dead spiders like this one in the woodshed back in Renall St. But I will try to find out what they are anyway. Will keep you posted.