My photo
Wanganui, New Zealand
Busy living life in the 'burbs, but is LIFE passing me by? Let's explore that notion...

Monday, March 05, 2007

Action Stations!

Ha ha. 'Action stations' was something I recall hearing a lot as a kid. So daggy.
This morning I took Lockie off to hospital, for his first admission since birth. He was pretty cool about it although I embarrassed him at the nurses' station by suggesting he needed a single room, owing to his 'snoring and farting problem'. They had him down to share a four-bed room, but soon changed that. The real reason I wanted his own room was that they came with a bed for a parent to stay over, unlike the shared rooms, where a lazyboy chair may have been the only bed-like piece of furniture for an adult over-nighting on the kids' ward! His room is quite good, and comes with a tv and video on the wall too. Fraz came in to see him around lunchtime and I was home for Bella's afternoon nap, then brought her in too. She thought the place was pretty all right - loads of toys! There is a great outdoor playground too, so they teared around there for a bit. Lockie had loads of energy to burn after sitting around most of the day, as various medical people came in and listened to his chest and prodded his tum and drilled me about his medical history - again and again and AGAIN. I really felt interrogated in the end and tripped myself up with the facts I'm sure - I wish they'd just written it down and SHARED with each other... I wonder if this will happen again tomorrow. That's the trouble with a public hospital I guess - there are always people in training who need to practise on real live bodies, with their superiors hovering over as they nervously examine the patient - and then the superior does it all over again!

Lockie's nasal polyps op is in a couple of days, so will keep you all posted... Fraz is staying over tonight and when I called at bedtime, things were looking good. I expect Fraz will have spent the evening in the Ronald McDonald Family Room, just along the corridor, and a very lovely welcoming place for family members to hang out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It all sounds like the patient is coping well - hooray! So long as the folks do too it'll be all good :-) x